Hemp bedding for chickens - 33 lb bale
Due to a vendor shipping issue, hemp bedding is temporarily out of stock. We should have hemp bedding available again by the end of April.
Need bedding? Consider using the all-natural Flax Shive bedding. It's available in our online store by clicking here.
What is hemp bedding?
Hemp bedding is a highly absorbent bedding material that will put your traditional pine shavings to shame! Hemp bedding is made from what is known as the “hurd” of the plant. The hurd is the stalk of the plant and is mulched down into a straw type of bedding. The bedding is extremely low dust and breaks down faster in any compost bin.
Hemp bedding benefits:
One of the most absorbent animal beddings on the market
2x more absorbent than pine shavings or straw
Higher salvage rate, since it is an industrial absorbent (absorbs 4x its weight), saving time and money
- 1/2 bag covers approximately 24 sq. ft. at about 1.5 inches deep
- Unlike some pine shavings and straw, hemp bedding has minimal dust
- More comfortable and softer, so chickens are more likely to nest
- High thermal rating, keeping chickens warmer while they sleep
- Biodegradable and all-natural
- Decomposes faster and is less acidic than pine shavings or pellets
"Hemp Bedding", 5 cu ft. Comes in a 33 lb bale. Comprised of the chopped stalks of the field crop, industrial hemp. Recommended usage: For chickens, 1 bag for 8' X 8'. For horses, 3 bags for 12' X 12'. (about 1/2 as much as manufacturer's website, but we like less-deep for horses). Can be misted to activate the absorbent quality of the hemp.
Want to read more about how we use hemp bedding with our chickens at CityChick HQ? Click here to read our blog post!
To make your hemp bedding last longer, check out your YouTube video: